Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Next Chapter...

I have been going back over the books I have read and the things I have written in the past couple of months, trying to get a sense of where I have been, so I can decide where I am going.

Where AM I going with all of this? In some ways it seems all over the place; Talking about oppression, and artwork, and the future of children's literature. I feel like I could go into depth in ten directions with all of this. But what next?

Something that has come up for me in the past ten weeks, over and over again, is my own struggle with my identity and where I fit in as an author of children's books. Are my ideas and perspectives even needed in the world of children's books, and is there a way for me to write authentic stories without furthering the status quo?

What I have come up with is that I want to dig deeper into theories behind deconstructing oppression, and see how I can relate that work to the world of children's books. I want to explore the idea of "multiculturalism" and take a look at who are the authors of many of the books I have already reviewed, and see what perspective they are coming from.

I also intend to keep making The List of Books I Like, and add notes that provide further context and discussion ideas for adult readers.

Ultimately I want to start to lay out my own work in story and art, hopefully informed by the work I have done and shared on this blog.

Next post... one more set of book reviews before I dive into this new chapter...

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment