Friday, February 4, 2011

THE LIST: Books I Like #5

My Princess Boy by Cheryl Kilodavis Illustrated by Suzanne DeSimone

I was excited when this book came out (officially just a few weeks ago!) I had been reading and watching local news stories about it for a couple of months, as the author is from nearby Seattle. In a couple of weeks the author is going to be at the library here in town, and I am looking forward to hearing her speak.

The intention behind this book is beautiful and something I have watched a lot of friends figure out how to face with their own kids; How do you deal with the social repercussions of your male child wanting to wear dresses and sparkly things?

For the most part I love the execution of the book as well. The illustrations are simple and sweetly childlike. I also really appreciate the honesty with which the author is speaking to children about something that can feel terrible to all of us: the judgment of others. I think people of all ages can relate to this feeling and it is nice to see a children's book address it head-on.

My only critique of the book, and something I change while reading it to my children, is the use of the word "girl" when pointing out the sort of clothes and beautiful things that the child is drawn to. I understand that the dominant social language refers to things such as clothing and toys by rigidly putting them into boxes with binary gender pronouns, and I think, as people questioning the relevance of that, that language is one of the first things that needs to change. By still calling them "girls' clothes" and "girl things" we are perpetuating the idea that there is a gendered box that "normal" people fit into depending on their sex. That that identity comes with pre-arranged likes and dislikes including toys, jobs, colors and so much else.

I know that Kilodavis is working hard to help make room for acceptance for her child and all those who don't fit into stereotypes and cultural expectations. The truth is, that most of us don't, and I think we all need to work harder to dissolve the useless boxes we cram each other into, and language is an incredibly powerful part of that.


Looking Like Me by Walter Dean Myers Illustrated by Christopher Myers

One of my new favorite books! A vibrant, exciting book to read to kids, with a lyrical quality and a part that gets repeated, (which they love!) This book talks about all the different identities that we wear, with a particularly Suess-ian quality and unique color-blocked illustrations over colaged photographs.

It is also positive, urban, and full of beautiful images of people of color.

Tough Chicks by Cece Meng Illustrated by Melissa Suber

Awesome story about three baby chicks who are spunky, curious and different than the other chicks. The other mama hens and the farmer want Mama Hen to "make them be good," to which she replies, "But they're tough and they're smart and they're different in a good way."

The farmer's tractor breaks and the three tough chicks know how to fix it, and finally everyone appreciates how tough, smart and good they are.

This book is a great metaphor for what we do to girls in our culture by expecting them to   "Be cute. Be quiet. Be good."

Tough chicks shows three strong, smart, little dudes whose curiosity (and the support of their awesome mama) helps them to help their community in the end.

All Kind of Families by Mary Ann Hoberman Illustrated by Marc Boutavant

"Bottlecaps, gingersnaps, buttons or rings
You can make families from all sorts of things!"


All Kinds of Families talks about all the different things that can be a family, the different ways people can be a family, and the way we come from our ancestors and will become ancestors ourselves.

The book is super fun to read with it's sing-songy style and fun to look at with it's super-hipster art.

There is one image of a white person wearing a stereotypical "Indian" feather headdress as costume, which is pretty racist and I wish was not in the book. There is also a page depicting marriage that reads:

"A saucer and cup can be brother and sister
A comb and a brush can be husband and wife
A plate and a bowl can be missus and mister
And so can the spoon or the fork or the knife"

I love the sentiment, and it almost speaks to marriage equality, if the the pronouns weren't as gender specific. I am still trying to figure out the best way to read that page to the kids.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Quinn, I know these posts are from a few years ago, but wanted to tell you I really liked the sound of a few of these books, and added them to my "wish list." I appreciate your thoughtfulness about what kids read and messages they are given.

    ReplyDelete