Friday, October 29, 2010

In the Interest of Transparency

In my second post I mentioned my aversion to being labeled "middle class," and how it was a complicated topic that I would return to at a later date. Well, I think that is today.

I have been writing and thinking and talking and listening and reading a lot about social class these past few weeks. It is a touchy, tricky subject. In some ways, I was hesitant to dissect it further in the context of this blog, but I think it is important. Not only is it important that my background and identity be transparent in this process, so that my own biases and missteps can be brought to the foreground, but the topic of class is virtually non-existent in children's books. When it is addressed, like so much else we aim at kids, it is in a formulaic, or, worse, romanticized way.

My upbringing was in a middle class family. My parents both went to college, as did all four of their parents. Even though in much of their adult lives my parents shunned the "comforts" they had been raised with, there is no way to rescind that privilege.

My story is much the same. I was raised in a home that my grandparents owned, and always had access to a car, new clothes, and abundant "educational opportunities." In more recent years I have lived in houses with up to 14 roommates, an old ambulance, and various basements and sheds. I have been on social assistance and fallen into the governmental bracket of "impoverished" for most of my adult life. But, regardless of these scenarios, I remain "middle class."

One of the things I have come to realize lately about class is that it isn't something you can "undo" just because you are unemployed, or living your life in a different wealth bracket than the one you were raised in. Class is about access. Like so many other aspects of "privilege," when you have it, it can take some effort to see how it benefits you, and hinders those without it.

I have been reading an incredible new book by Leticia Nieto and her co-authors called Beyond Inclusion, Beyond Empowerment, which talks about the intricate dynamics of oppression and privilege. ( I highly recommend this amazing book, which I hope to be using in the future in more depth to look at how it can be applied to children's literature.) It is an incredible book to be reading to start to identify what these pieces of our identity that include race, class, culture, religion, gender, and ability are and how they affect our interactions with the world and each other.

Some of the questions that come up for me about class in the context of children's literature, is asking the question of who is telling these stories? And what are the assumptions that are being made about who is reading the book, and what the "social norm" the reader is expected to identify with, or strive for?

One of the hardest things that I have been confronting lately about my own desire to write books is "Does the world really need one more book written by a white, middle class, person in a hetero relationship?" I have been filled with a lot of doubt and questions about my desire to write, what perspective I can authentically write from, and if those perspectives are actually useful to the world of radical literature I want to create? I hope that the answer is "YES!" It just might look different than I thought it would. I might look like me collaborating with folks, or writing about confronting the issues of race, class, gender, etc, from the perspective that I am viewing it from, including how I am trying to be a better ally to groups of folks targeted by oppression.

The truth is, I am not sure where this all will lead. I still want to write, and illustrate books for kids that show so many perspectives that I think are currently missing in the world of children's literature. But I think the way that is going to unfold is going to be of narrower focus, from my own focus, than I once would have envisioned. And I think that is good.

Without diverging too much from the topic at hand, I also want to note how much I think this comes into play with the topic of "multicultural" books for kids, and just who is writing these books. This is another topic that I plan to get in depth with in the future. I think that in the interest of bringing diverse images and stories to children, we often are speaking from experiences, and telling stories that are not our own, and end up tokenizing the very group of people we hoped to support.

Is there a way to address diversity without tokenizing? I think there is. And I know there are lots of people doing it. And I need to explore this question so much more.

OK... I feel like I could write for hours about my unpeeling of this onion. But I'll end it here for now.
Next post, back to the list....
I have found some beautiful, incredible children's books that I am excited to share with you.
Thanks for reading this.
See you soon.

2 comments:

  1. I would love to see a book written for children that follows the protagonist (who very well could be white, middle class, and hetero just as well as it could be anyone) as they confront their own privelege, regardless of what the authors memberships in society were.

    I know that it is possible to have that conversation with children because I have it with my own whenever the authentic opportunity arises. Some people are concerned when I tell them about how I have talked to my kids about the realities of slavery, colonialism, and genocide. They worry that it will rob them of their childhood, that they will spend every waking moment overcome with guilt for being white. In reality, it has given them the opportunity to know how to act in the world in a way that does not hurt people, and I think that is what most people actually want. I have never felt like it was developmentally inappropriate or harmful to them in any way. Slowly and gently, making space for reflection, and being willing to make mistakes and humbly correct them are some of the ways we can approach subjects like this with our children, the same way we can approach these sometimes difficult subjects with ourselves.

    I wish that there were more examples in society, media, and our communities of people going through the full process of making a mistake or facing something challenging so that it could be clear for children that there other solutions to the tension of it besides running away or being defensive. When it comes to very personal and sometimes sensitive matters such as race, class, gender, etc. there is a lot of room for mistakes but I feel like there is nothing better we can do than face them and fix them, and let our children watch us do it.

    So, I think the world does indeed another book written by "a white, middle class, person in a hetero relationship," especially if it is a book like that. Now if only I knew someone who wanted to write children's books.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. bravo, quinn and sfirah! (and i must say that at first, i typed that word with an e instead of an o.) also brave! talking about oppression takes all kinds of courage...& contemplating further action takes still more...

    quinn, when your book comes along i think sfirah and i might want to be proofreaders or something. :)

    <3 laurel

    p.s. i like the way you frame class here in terms of access. & thanks for the nod to http://beyondinclusionbeyondempowerment.com/ :)

    ReplyDelete