Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Stories We Tell

I think a lot about what kinds of things I want to make a special effort to share with my kids. What are the images and stories I want them to hear about the world, and their place in it.


There isn't some dogma I am tied to, or some liberal, middle-class "Perfect Mom" ideal that I am striving to achieve. I am not, and have no desire to be middle-class, or liberal. And I don't believe in those glossy media notions of the "good" or "perfect" mom. My partner and I are working class, solidly where the government considers us "impoverished." (Which, even when struggling to pay our bills, I acknowledge how much relative wealth and privilege we have. Incredible privilege, actually. But more on that at a later date.)


I also don't identify as a "Liberal." My beliefs about government, community, environmental issues, capital and commerce are deeper into the roots of the issues. I prefer to discuss and work on the origins of the issue and how we can change things at their depths, instead of just bandaging the wounds.  I think this leads to my interest in revolutionizing the ways we view and engage with childhood. Because, is our culture not born and reborn with every new generation?


Something that has become incredibly important to me is being aware of the messages about the world that we are passing along to children. We pass along the information that gives them their image of themselves and the world through language we use, the ways we interact, the activities we pursue, and encourage (or force)  them to pursue. We pass these stories that become their facts about the world through various media, including movies, television, and books. We pass them along through the things they are taught in school, or perhaps more importantly, the way they are taught.


Some of the choices my partner and I have made so far include not having a television in our house, or showing our kids videos (on any device, at home or not.) I would love if the "no TV/movie" thing lasted until they were teens, but I realize that is virtually impossible. As it is, at almost two years old, they have never watched Dora the Explorer or Yo Gabba Gabba, or anything other than and eight second clip of their cousin doing a somersault. (And now they can't pass the computer without demanding " Baby! Baby! Baby!")


We also got rid of a bunch of racist records from my childhood, regardless of how charming the music was. These included a Burl Ives album and Disney's Bre'r Rabbit and the Tar Baby.


And we are REALLY picky about the kids books we keep around.


In the title essay of Should We Burn Babar by Herbert Kohl, the author uses the Babar books by Laurent de Brunhoff to discuss troubling aspects of some children's literature considered "classic."


"In Babar the reader learns that there are different classes of people and the Rich Lady is of the better (that is richer) class. And that the elephants are not as good as people, but might be if they imitate people. Was I aware of those distinctions as a child? Did I learn to admire the rich from reading the book?Did I also learn about the inferiority of creatures from the jungle (people included)?" 
pg 7


And so he asks,


"Was Babar so offensive that it should be eliminated? Or so powerful an influence that it was dangerous to young children? More generally, if literature has an influence on children's behavior, then the classics may present a problem for parents and teacher if their content portrays, sanctions, and even models inequity. What to do about kings and princesses? About the triumph of strong and the mocking of the weak? About the glorification of wealth and the sanction of "deserved" poverty? About the portrayal of some people as civilized and others as savage? Should books that represent these antidemocratic sentiments be a major part of our children's earliest repertoire of stories and tales, or should we avoid purchasing them and sharing them with our children?"
pg 4


Kohl further discusses the images of power, civilization, class, and the underlying racism within the Babar books.


Kohl brings up the question of whether or not we should throw away any books with values contrary to our own.


"Should children be protected from many of the classics of children's literature if these works seem to celebrate oppression, embody racism or provide images of women as subordinate to men?"
pg 13


Kohl suggest that avoiding all stories, toys and images that don't jibe with our own beliefs is virtually impossible. He goes on to say that introducing our kids to these things and then engaging in critical discussion with them about it is perhaps the best way to deal with it.


"However, read uncritically, there is always the possibility that a book like Babar can contribute to the formation of stereotypes and attitudes that might be reinforced by other reading, by TV, and by the nature and shape of the toys manufactured for children's use. Children's books contribute to the formation of culture, and some books, can even transform the way children look at and relate to the world."
pg 23


Kohl concludes his essay by saying,


"I'd use Babar only if the children had been surrounded by a wealth of books and stories and tales."
 "If there were only a few books a child had access to, it would be foolish to select any that have racial, class or sexual bias woven into their content."
pg 29


I love Kohl's statements about engaging kids in critical discussion, and he points out that this can be done with children as young as toddlers. The task of raising critical thinkers instead of passive consumers of information is an important one. I think this, and clear communication are two of the top skills I hope to help my daughters learn. However, I still think that there is plenty they will be exposed to that can provide opportunities for these discussions.


I'd venture to say that the vast majority of children's books available are biased in directions I feel no need to enforce in my children's minds. There is plenty of that in the culture at large. I would like to share with my children books that focus on cooperation, diversity of culture, and diversity of lifestyle, among other things. These books are harder to come by than you'd think. Then, if you are looking for them to be non-stereotypical about gender, and on top of that be well-written and beautifully illustrated, you whittle it down much, much more.


I think that the messages passed along by the whole of the jumble of children's books are not even as blatantly racist and classist as Babar. I think that, in some ways, the things that are less obvious that we are teaching them about the world are the ones I am more interested in dissecting. I'd bet that most people, even those who read their kids Sleeping Beauty at night, could tell you why lots of fairy tales are sexist. But what about the power issues in the classic The Runaway Bunny, or the assumed norm of "whiteness" in kids' book illustrations. How about the very specific cultural assumption that all babies sleep in cribs and drink from bottles? Or that everyone is "able-bodied" and families are of a single race, and generally middle class?


What are the assumed mainstream cultural ethics and values in these books? If detailed outside of a story about bunnies or fishies, would we as adults even agree that these are the pieces of our culture we wish to propagate?


I'd like to repeat what Herbert Kohl wrote...


"Children's books contribute to the formation of culture and some books can even transform the way children look at and relate to the world."


I'd venture to take it one step further and say that the stories we tell children are vital in the weaving of the future world they will grow up and exist in. Perhaps we should start to look closer at what we are teaching them are the "truths" of the world?

8 comments:

  1. it's tricky, too, because the idea of "classic" literature includes a lot of the pushback that can happen with things that people love - my initial response is "oh! babar!" with an aching heart, although upon thinking about it further it... yeah, that's really screwed up.

    i watched a tv show with one of my exes that had been a favorite of his when he was a little girl... it was funny to realize, as we watched it, how much it was a story about staying in the role you had been assigned and not choosing another path in life.

    a nice thing about encoded messages is that they can go in subversive directions as well - even within the context of royalty, consumerism and heterocentrism, that looks really poly to me...

    long comment is long. you don't want your kids to learn to "sit on [their] hat, or [their] grandmother, or anything else that's worthless?"

    finally, "There is plenty of that in the culture at large." is something that i keep trying to hold in my mind as we talk about how we want to raise kids. because no matter how much intention we put into things... there's gonna be a counter"balance."

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been toying with the idea of writing genderless stories with androgynous characters, constantly crossing typical gender and class roles as an invitation and recognition that you are finally free to move about the cabin.

    I guess I think we need new stories. Stories that help us grow into the new world that is burgeoning around us. Stories that help us remove barriers, and open us to each other.

    I don't think there are many extant stories adequate for the task. Maybe we would be better off just writing new ones than trying to explain the disparagements and divisions of yesteryear and yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with both of you, Puck and "Doolang." I think it is important to be real about what sort of world we exist in today. To not sweep under the rug the oppression and injustice that plagues our society. I think that raising those "critical thinkers" that I talked about is key to the transformation of the world. I do think that you are right, Doolang, that it is also vitally important to give our children the means by which to envision a different reality. And to give them, at a very early age, images and language that will help to to understand that a world of equality and healthy community is possible, and exists in all sorts of ways already. I also think, and the gender stuff is a perfect example, that we as adults and authors and teachers and artists are the ones giving children the framework for what the "norms" are. What if that framework is blown to beautiful bits, and there is endless room for them to define their own identities? What if we show them, not one box, but how to draw their own maps, and what the maps of all different people who have traveled before them have looked like?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey Quinn,

    I agree with the critical thinking part. We talk about every story we read. we did this anyway, but now it is mandated by our Kindergarten teacher :-) I don't think I would sensor books because when we talk about whatever social injustice we discover in the story it is the emotion that Seth discusses. I think it helps build empathy. Plus it encourages the understanding that there are life experiences different than our own.

    I will reserve judgment on Harris. My mother read from the original text. I don't remember the stories, but the way the language sounded was so beautiful. I often have to call on these memories to stay my critical self. I am a bit of a stickler for language and I call on these memories when ever I find myself correcting my son for saying "I did good" instead of "I did well". Without honoring narrative and the bending of language we will all become white middle class liberal perfect moms.

    Love + A

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I haven't met many people that have read that article by Kohl - I enjoyed it as well. You might also really like the work of Daniel Hade on multicultural children's literature, and the work of Jack Zipes on fairytales. If you haven't read them yet, you might also like the retold fairytales of Donna Jo Napoli, and some of the academic articles written about her retellings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi "M"- I haven't read any Daniel Hade, but I going to dive into Dana Fox's book about cultural authenticity in children's literature soon. All that I have read of Jack Zipes is his forward to Tales for Little Rebels, which is a book I would highly recommend. I will certainly check out your suggestions! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. quinn, i love this blog! thanks for sharing your work in this way.

    I wonder if I've ever told you that my mom collects multicultural childrens books. growing up, these were a HUGE part of my learning about the world. some were pretty problematic—–they were books primarily written by whites that conveyed the message "see, people of color are just like white people!" others exotified and lifted people of color up as more spiritual, more collective, more of everything good. So, of course, I look back as these books and wonder if my mom wasn't fetishizing cultures different from our own. But at the same time I really value what she was going for...her efforts really did impact me. Growing up I would notice a sure difference between my white peers & me (also white) when race came up. I had a long way to go before I'd begin thinking about white supremacy, but there I was with this foundation of at least thinking and reading about people of color.

    As you know, now that I'm an adult I am engaged in anti-racist organizing. I can say without any doubt that this isn't something I'd be doing if my mom hadn't given me a foundation in multiculturalism. more on this another time, but I wanted to put it down as the memories were emerging. thanks for getting me/us thinking.

    laurel

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laurel-
    Such amazing points to bring up! The "fetish of multiculturalism" aspect of showing diversity, especially in children's literature, is something I have been thinking a lot about lately. I think that this winter I am going to do some more focusing on that aspect. I have especially been thinking about books being written by people who are not from or part of the culture the book is about. And, as an author of writings for children, how I can write books that aren't just about white people who were raised middle class, as that was my experience. I have found a great book of essays on this topic that I will be using. Also, my sister lead me to this link that I have not really started to check out. I will be interested in what the books on this list are like.

    http://www.understandingprejudice.org/readroom/kidsbib.htm

    Also, I think I am going to be using an exciting new book called "Beyond Inclusion, Beyond Empowerment"
    which, I believe, you had a hand in creating! ;)

    ReplyDelete